Ever wondered what lurks out there after the dark? If you are a curious hunter or a survival expert then you sure are bound to need a night vision scope for your expeditions. These gadgets are mostly used by military, pilots, unmanned aerial vehicles or UAVs and interventions of law enforcement but are readily for civilian use too. These are optoelectronic contrivances that make use of infrared and visible light to produce thermal images of objects. In general, these are waterproof and can be mounted on a weapon accompanied with an image intensifier for maximum effect. In fact, the best night vision scope is a sophisticated piece of machinery that intensifies available light but with reduced blind effect. A read through this post will make it clear what kind of night vision scopes you ordinarily get to choose from
- 1 Why Night Vision Scope Is The Best Choice?
- 2 Top Best Night Vision Scope Reviews 2016 On The Market
- 2.1 Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope
- 2.2 Vortex® Diamondback 3.5 - 10x50 BDC Reticle Riflescope
- 2.3 Vortex Viper PST 2.5 - 10x32 FFP Riflescope
- 2.4 Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope
- 2.5 Pulsar Digisight N550 Digital Night Vision Rifle Scope
- 2.6 Pulsar N750 Digisight Riflescope
- 3 How To Buy The Best Night Vision Scope For The Money?
- 4 Final Thought
Why Night Vision Scope Is The Best Choice?
Talking from the point of warfare there came a time when soldiers needed something better than handheld torches during the night. It could be simple a fire or a flashlight but in the dark, all this would give away tactical positions. Hence, through the 1950’s to recent time engineers and scientists have been working alike to make things better for military and intelligence agencies. This led to the discovery of capturing of electromagnetic radiation of objects to the human eye. So night vision devices or NVDs have helped fighters to “Own the Night” by assisting them, to see better at night or in places with reduced visibility. Fighters can now see, move, maneuver and shoot at targeted objects without much of a difficulty.
Additionally, there are a couple of things that can be added to this list like:
- Latest night vision devices are really reasonably priced
- That means it is available to civilians
- Many brand names have jumped into the bandwagon of manufacturing quality devices
- These manufacturers have understood the demand of such products in the survival and hunting industry and are competing to pitch the best of their work
- These manufacturers are producing low maintenance products that makes it more meaningful
- No special training required to learn operating most of these devices
Pro tip – Just remember to keep your natural night vision adjusted by investing in a monoculars!
|Image||Product Name||Our Score|
|Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope||4.9/5.0|
|Vortex® Diamondback 3.5 - 10x50 BDC Reticle Riflescope||4.8/5.0|
|Vortex Viper PST 2.5 - 10x32 FFP Riflescope||4.7/5.0|
|Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope||5.0/5.0|
|Pulsar Digisight N550 Digital Night Vision Rifle Scope||4.7/5.0|
|Pulsar N750 Digisight Riflescope||4.8/5.0|
Top Best Night Vision Scope Reviews 2016 On The Market
The market is competitive and there are a number of manufacturers that have come into existence. In order to get a hang of things we have tried our best to list a few of the best-sellers in this category of night vision scope which are as follows:
Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope
This rifle scope is engineered for placement in medium range guns and is extremely versatile with high its end magnification. The battery shelf life is much higher than other similar products available in the market and is extremely lightweight.
- Expect to get 33% longer battery life
- It is 30% lightweight than other night vision rifle scope
- Six digital reticle options for a vast range of applications
- The scope includes two crossbow reticles designed for 320, 350, 370 and 400 fps crossbows
- It includes two Duplex reticles for hog hunting and varmint hunting
- A Mil-Dot reticle for range finding and holdovers and a German style reticle
- It has a 4.6x magnification, large 42mm objective lens and higher than average 640×480 resolution that offers a fine detailing up to 120 yards
People would complain about it being cheap which is quite evident that you cannot get an expensive one look. It may be blurry because again it does not have advanced technology into it. It is a basic gadget that would provide you all the comfort of a night vision device as a cheaper alternative. Those who complain about the SD card actually may not know how to use it properly for sure.
Vortex® Diamondback 3.5 - 10x50 BDC Reticle Riflescope
Diamondback 3.5 – 10X50 Riflescope is loaded with best of features that is available in it’s price range. This riflescope is best used for short and medium range guns or short guns due to its high degree of mechanics and precision involved. Some of the key features have been jolted below:
- DEAD-HOLD BDC RETICLE: The customized dot design helps to eliminate guesswork on holdover and windage corrections
- Extremely good for hunting and shooting at varying wide ranges where estimating holdover is a concern
- The device is ideal for big game, predator/varmint, muzzleloader, slug shotgun, and long range applications
- It is constructed of solid one-piece aircraft-grade aluminum alloy which makes the Diamondback riflescope virtually indestructible and highly resistant to magnum recoil
- Argon purging puts waterproof and fog proof performance on the device
- Advanced fully multi-coated optics gives a crystal clear, tack-sharp images which appear in the crosshairs
- Second Focal Plane reticle: The scale of the reticle maintains the same ideal sized appearance
Well this one has no issues at all but still some have found the way to criticize it saying that they expect to get more relief for the eye. Now that’s incredible and there is nothing you can do as you cannot make everyone happy.
Vortex Viper PST 2.5 - 10x32 FFP Riflescope
Vortex Viper PST 2.5 – 10×32 FFP Riflescope is a top-tier product that has more features than we could imagine actually. The Viper PST (Precision Shooting Tactical) Riflescope meets the tactical demands without creating a crater in your wallet. Matching reticle and turret measurements allow an accurate, to the point and fast dialing of shots. The one-piece 30mm tube of the make which is precision-machined from a single solid block of aircraft-grade 6061-T6 aluminum offers thorough windage and elevation adjustment. If we know what we want from a riflescope, and the Viper PST delivers exactly that.
- The Optics used is First focal plane which allows subtensions to remain consistent throughout the magnification range
- Optically indexed lenses: Edge-to-edge image sharpness and brightness is obtained with true reticle use for full ranging, XD lens elements
- Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting sharp images with XR lens coatings
- Vortex proprietary XR fully multi-coated lens coatings increase light transmission for maximum brightness under subtle daylight
- The Construction: 30mm tube: Greater strength and wider adjustment latitude compared to a 1″ tube. 1-Pc
It is interesting enough to see people complaining about nothing but that it is not made in the US. That should speak about the brand’s quality in simple terms.
Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope
Armasight Vampire 3X makes use of the Ceramic Optical Ruggedized Engine or CORE as it is popularly called. This technology uses a compound of ceramic and metallic alloys instead of glass in the tube to produce doubled resolution dramatic images of 70 lp/mm. This means you can see clearer night vision images without any edge distortion. This is considered the right for predator hunting, security personnel or even tactical marksmen. Find out more about it by giving the following points a read:
- Stylish looks
- Use of CORE technology makes images better and sharper
- Can be mounted on any weapon
- Illuminated reticle that can be adjusted as per your requirement
- Detachable infrared illuminator
- Fog and water resistant
- Shockproof glass
- Multi coated optics
- Low battery indicators
- Quick release mounting
- Comes with a lens cap
- Carrying case
- Lens tissue
- Has a 2 year limited warranty
Some users have complained about weight and bulk that it comes with. Others have complained about the battery does not last long. The only thing that should be said in favor of the Armasight Vampire 3X is one of the best night vision scope and is a great product to invest in because of it’s efficiency.
Pulsar Digisight N550 Digital Night Vision Rifle Scope
This one is for hunting rifle and is an ideal for those who like to shoot as this can be mounted on hunting weapons. is a riflescope that doubles up as an extraordinarily effective night vision device that can be used for hunting in the dark. This means you can use it during the day as well as at night for best results. It has a lot of things that go into its favor like:
- It is ergonomically designed
- It has a sensitive CCD array
- Displays a high resolution image
- Is water resistant
- Comes with built in IR Illuminator
- Has a blind shield
- Comprises of both external as well as in built power supply
- Flip lens cover
- Also has low battery indicators
This is a high-quality product in spite of being reasonably priced so there are not many flaws to complain of. The only thing that users could come up with is that you may need an extra pair of batteries depending on the nature of your expedition. This is quite normal as the company can manufacture sturdy products but may not be aware of how their users will be using it!
Pulsar N750 Digisight Riflescope
Another riflescope from the same manufacturer was bound to have found this place in this review because of its superior performance. With an OLED display that has high resolution, the N750 Digisight by Pulsar has nailed it. This one is sure to appeal single dot reticle or for hog hunting because of its illuminated reticle. It is quite interesting to know that the N750 Digisight can magnify 4.5x Optical, which is like zooming into 1.5x Digital Zoom to an effective range of 6.75x! There is more to this amazing product that has been explained further, read on for more.
- You get high resolution images
- One shot zeroing facility available
- Laser built in IR illuminator that has a three step adjustment requirement
- Built in power supply both internal and external
- User friendly interface
- Wide ranging temperature adjustment
- Weapon mount can be attached to the underside of a weapon
- Has a carrying case
- Comes with a cleaning cloth
Again this is a product from a well-known manufacturer, less are the chances of talking against it. The only problem that users have complained of so far is that it is quite heavy and big to be mounted on a weapon. However the finesse that you get with it surpasses this kind of a problem for sure.
How To Buy The Best Night Vision Scope For The Money?
Ever since the World War II, nocturnal scopes have become quite popular among the populace. Again through the 50’s with advanced technology these optics, started to be circulated among the mass for more exposure. Today, these gadgets are a must have anyone who enjoys a night prowl, like a hunter, adventure lover or a survivor specialist besides the militia. When we talk about civilians buying the best night vision scope for the price, pop comes the question is it possible to buy these ultra sophisticated gadgets? The fact is yes, you can buy them as these are readily available in the market. Let us look at some details that will help you decide.
Night Vision Generation
It is quite obvious like any other revolutionary product, the night vision devices did not succeed the moment they were introduced. They underwent a lot of changes that has helped them to grow in leaps and bounds. Here is a snapshot of their journey:
- Generation 0 – The very first night vision scope was discovered by a Russian and was intended for civilian use but failed to reach the mass, mainly because of its cost and size. It was not until the WWII in 1939, that the German military started using this technology for warfare and then the whole world recognized its importance. This was followed by the US and the Korean military that used it assist their snipers.
- Generation 1 – This is the more organized first generation night vision scopes that were built on the foundation of the GEN 0. More precisely this was used during the Vietnam War and was based on using ambient light for intensifying an object. Not to mention they were quite bulky and needed moonlight for operation.
- Generation 2 – The second generation gadgets had improvised image intensifiers that produced brighter images. These devices could be used in the low lighted environment and could produce high-resolution images. These are still in use in some Western European countries including Belarus and Russia.
- Generation 3 – The third generation of night vision scope has graduated from the GEN II version and has amplified light by 30,000 to 50,000 X. If higher power consumption is a problem, then it has to be added that these devices last up to 15,000 hours of usage. Mention has to be made about GEN 3+ devices that highly differ in make by standards and cannot be exported out of the US without the consent of the Department of Defense. These devices can adapt to condition of the changing light in any setting and primarily depend on auto-gating, which is a safety regulation that avoids temporary blindness of the naked eye.
IR illuminator or Laser
In the simplest of words, that we can describe the night vision scope with IR illuminator or Laser as something is like an intensifier. That is correct the photons in the scope will take the only available light source and amplify the object for visibility. It can be helpful within a span of 100 yards. Most of these infrared illuminators have wavelengths in between 1 mm and 750 mm. Additionally, it must be mentioned that the IR can spot a camouflaged object very easily with these night scopes and even moving objects that may pose a threat. Now this is exactly what produces laser sharp images for users to identify objects in the dark.
Furthermore, people that work in survival industry, manufacturing, law enforcement, hunting, spectroscopy and communications apart from the military are in dire need of these optics. These professionals need to use the infrared light to conduct various field studies, examine the environment and keep a vigilant eye to keep it secured. There is no end to its use which is why they have become a must have for most of these experts dealing with different situations. Then again the use of prolonged laser can cause damage to your eyes, so it is highly advisable that you wear protective gear like a pair of laser reduction goggles for safety.
Budget, seems to be a major deciding factor while buying for predator hunting or any other kind of nocturnal sport. Again if you are new and want to keep it simple then opting for a budget night vision device can be a good idea. It is a practical resort as you may need to get adjusted to these devices first and for that, you should not spend a fortune on them. Gradually, once you learn the basics and know how to care for them, you may then invest into an expensive version. You get these for various prices these days and the most expensive ones may come for thousands of dollars.
There are a number of brands that have entered the night vision device industry. It is a promising industry and with the growing demands, it has a bright future. This is why you can see a lot many name brands researching and developing these tools all the time. Names like Sightmark, Vortex, Pulsar, Armasight and Yukon are some of the major players in this field. There is no dearth of brands but these are the most affordable brands for civilians. That makes all the difference and it is to be noted that most of these easy to use night scopes. In other words, these only make your life uncomplicated because they are low on maintenance and are totally undemanding. Moreover, these are names that stand for quality as they have tested their products with series of quality checks that all the more sweetens the deal for you.
This brings us to the conclusion of this discussion on best night vision scope and all we are left is to say that there is more to night vision scopes. With rapidly developing technology there is no end to this ever growing sector. This is a major area of work pertaining to the rising demands defense, hunting, and survival industry. It is believed that the Short Wave Infrared camera is going to be another massively revolutionary product that will change how things work in this industry. As of now what can be said is that with the GEN III night vision devices which are available at real affordable rates has made all difference. We all look forward to what advanced technology can further make to this world.