It seems that every gadget that you can buy today is promising something more than the usual features one would expect out of it. Flashlights definitely fall into this category. Manufacturers of flashlights, on today’s market, are constantly trying to provide you with a product that boasts the latest and most advanced features…For example, you can buy a flashlight specifically made for hunting, hiking, biking, and even for fishing.
Some manufacturers have upgraded their flashlights with LED lights, which produce brighter, longer lasting light, and are easy to maintain. These flashlights have multiple brightness settings and can even be adapted to fit on other products. With so many options, and since this is a hunting website, we will discuss the best hunting flashlights on the market in 2017.
- 1 Flashlights For Hunting at Night: The Benefits
- 2 Comparison Table: 5 Hunting Flashlights For Your Buck
- 3 Top Rated And Best Hunting Flashlight Reviews On The Market
- 4 What To Look For Before Purchasing?
- 5 Conclusion
Flashlights For Hunting at Night: The Benefits
The majority of hunting takes place during daylight, but there are periods in the field during low light hours or darkness. It’s those times when having a flashlight designed for hunting is a godsend. A great flashlight will help your ability to maneuver the woods quietly. There are various types of flashlights available today, each having pros and cons depending on the situation.
Having the right flashlight model will give you an edge and increase your chances of success. For many hunters, having a flashlight is a necessity when going into the field. If you are still unsure if having a one of these flashlights is necessary, here are a few of the benefits of using one for hunting at night.
Better Hunting And Tracking
Moving around in the dark can be quite hard for many hunters and often leads to a lot of noise or even getting lost. You always need a flashlight to help with improving the visibility. The idea is to position yourself in the area you want to set up at before the animals begin to move at first light. In the case of hunting nocturnal animals like raccoon or coyote a reliable flashlight is critical! Many hunters have taken a shot near the waning hours of the day and had to track an animal well into the night. With the right flashlight, you will be able to move efficiently and quietly giving yourself more chances of success and less chance of injury…Using the same flashlight, you can read your map, check out the compass and other important components during the hunt.
Easy to carry
Most of the flashlights are made to be compact and will easily fit in your palm. These flashlights are not only extremely useful, but also will not increase your carry weight in the field. Such a device should be easy to carry around and use it whenever the need arises. You do not have to settle for bulky flashlights anymore! Our list will give you a head start at finding the right model for your use.
All flashlights made for hunting that are worth buying will be made of a rugged housing that assures the user of the best durability. Hunting can be physical and we often find ourselves outside in difficult weather conditions. With the right durability, you can rely on your flashlight surviving those elements and not have to keep buying a new flashlight. You will have the perfect hunting gear with you all the time.
Setting Up Camp
A lot of hunting trips require nights in the wilderness. Like we discussed earlier, sometimes you are in elements that prevent or limit a fire to provide light and if you forgot your lamp, the flashlight can be a great source of illumination. You will have an easier time clearing the area before setting up your tents for the night. Flashlights will be your best source of light when preparing your gear for the next day and in the early morning when the fire has turned to a few embers. You can always leave the light on to scare the animals from getting too close to your camp. This, of course, depends on the brightness that the flashlight can provide.
Comparison Table: 5 Hunting Flashlights For Your Buck
|SOLARAY PRO ZX-2|
|1,200||Flashlight||0.39 pounds||View on Amazon|
|ThruNite TH10 CW||825||Headlamp||0.29 pounds||View on Amazon|
|EcoGear FX (TK120X)||1,600||Flashlight||0.44 pounds||View on Amazon|
|Black Diamond Storm||160||Headlamp||0.15 pounds||View on Amazon|
|OXYLED MD50||800||Flashlight||0.88 pounds||View on Amazon|
Top Rated And Best Hunting Flashlight Reviews On The Market
Here is our list of the best hunting flashlights of 2017:
With 1,200 lumens the SOLARAY PRO ZX-2 certainly wipes away the darkness. This ultra bright light has a chip of the XM-L LED, which is more than enough to light up the whole room and can also zoom in on far-away items. It has a carefully engineered body that is made up of aircraft grade aluminum with a premium quality tail switch. It has more to it like:
- 5 operative modes – 3 beam selection levels, SOS for emergency and a Strobe mode
- It is highly durable
- It is water resistant
- Batteries can be recharged for 500 times
- Its small size makes it a perfect fit anywhere
Some customers have it to be extremely good, but too small because it does not look like a rugged one. Well, this is idea that it should not seek attention but should be able to perform whenever required.
The aluminum body structure is not just for durability, but also give the flashlight low weight and better heat dissipation. This gives the headlamp better output for extended periods of time. The intelligent temperature control technology on the headlamp makes it safer and more comfortable to use. The technology works by automatically lowering the current when there is an increase in the LED temperature. This will protect the light from overheating, thus extending its lifespan even more. The headlamp is powered with a rechargeable battery, which is more convenient and cheaper than using disposable batteries
This is another powerful flashlight and you should not judge it’s small design. It has a booming 1,600 lumens that can light up a room, and the CREE XML T6 LED ensures that it does this with ease. This is the best flashlight for hunting, emergency use, hiking, camping or just changing the tires. Some of its attributes that set it apart from the rest are as follows:
- Special reflectors enhance the output intensity
- High grade of aluminum alloy makes the body tough
- 5 modes of operation like high, medium and low light beams, strobe and SOS signaling
- Uses rechargeable Lithium Ion batteries
- Extremely light in weight
- Beautiful black color adds to its charms
Some have cast off the flashlight saying it’s too bright! Well with 1,200 lumens and with beam selection functions, they are supposed to be bright. Other than that, there is not much to say about its cons.
For those who might be out on a trail and end up in the dark can use the precise beam provided by the headlamp. The precise beam helps in locating your route quickly and still be aware of your surroundings. You can switch between various modes such as proximity, strobe, dimming and red night vision. This makes the headlamp quite accommodating and versatile to various lighting needs people might have. The intuitive lock mode helps to prevent the headlamp from turning on even when it is stored in your pocket or pack decreasing wasteful energy expenditure.
Handheld flashlights are by far the most prevalent ones and are worth discussing. The OXYLED MD50 is a bestselling flashlight that runs on Li-on battery, is made up of aircraft aluminum, and has an anti abrasive veneer. Additionally, it is equipped with 3 levels of brightness that has a zoom in facility and an SOS option. There is more to it like:
- It is compact
- The black color adds to its elegance
- It has strobe functions
- Waterproof that with IPX-6 marking
- Built in protection of battery against overcharging or even discharging
- Tough and clear glass
- Anti reflective coating
This is a quality product, but some users are put off by the small size of the flashlight. However, it is a pocket size powerhouse that comes with a lifespan of 50,000 hours of Cree LED.
What To Look For Before Purchasing?
- Features – This is important for you to consider for personalization purposes. Features like zooming in, strobe, SOS and even beam adjusting levels make a flashlight stand out. In addition to all this you also need to see if the product is well built or not. Depending on how you will be utilizing the flashlight in the woods or fields will determine which features are most important to you.
- Brightness – Flashlight can range in between 50 to 1,200 lumens and you need to choose it according your purpose. The most popular ones range in between 50 to 150 lumens. If you plan on being in the wilderness in total darkness settings higher lumens might be a better choice.
- Length – This should be chosen with great care as this again defines what exactly you need. Like you may need to keep one in your kitchen drawer for emergency use, then a normal one that measures in between 5 and 15 cm would do. However, if you like camping or hiking then you would need something like 30 and 50 cm. For hunting purposes you might want to invest in a more compact design.
- Material – A durable, rugged flashlight is critical even if you keep it in the drawer. For outdoor activities, such as hunting, a durable, waterproof material is optimal.
- Battery – Rechargeable batteries run longer and need the least maintenance. For hunting rechargeable batteries may be the better bet. No one wants their flashlight to run out of juice in the middle of the woods.
The 2017 hunting season is already underway and it has already proven to be a great year for hunters. There are still several months left and the proper hunting flashlight can only increase your success in the field. Hopefully, this hunting flashlight review has provided you an excellent starting point for selecting the best hunting flashlight for you. Happy Hunting!