Ever wondered what lurks out there after the dark? If you are a curious hunter or a survival expert then you sure are bound to need a night vision scope for your expeditions. These gadgets are mostly used by military, pilots, unmanned aerial vehicles or UAVs and interventions of law enforcement but are readily for civilian use too. These are optoelectronic contrivances that make use of infrared and visible light to produce thermal images of objects.
In general, these are waterproof and can be mounted on a weapon accompanied with an image intensifier for maximum effect. In fact, the best scope for night hunting is a sophisticated piece of machinery that intensifies available light but with reduced blind effect. A read through this post will make it clear what kind of night vision scopes you ordinarily get to choose from
- 1 Why Night Vision Scope Is The Best Choice for Night hunting?
- 2 Comparison Table: 6 Night Hunting Scopes For Your Budget
- 3 Top 6 Best Night Vision Scope for Night Hunting 2017
- 3.1 Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope
- 3.2 Vortex® Diamondback 3.5 - 10x50 BDC Reticle Riflescope
- 3.3 Vortex Viper PST 2.5 - 10x32 FFP Riflescope
- 3.4 Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope
- 3.5 Pulsar Digisight N550 Digital Night Vision Rifle Scope
- 3.6 Pulsar N750 Digisight Riflescope
- 4 Best Scope for Hunting at Night: Buying Guide
- 5 Final Thought
Why Night Vision Scope Is The Best Choice for Night hunting?
Talking from the point of warfare there came a time when soldiers needed something better than handheld torches during the night. It could be simple a fire or a flashlight but in the dark, all this would give away tactical positions.
Hence, through the 1950’s to recent time engineers and scientists have been working alike to make things better for military and intelligence agencies. This led to the discovery of capturing of electromagnetic radiation of objects to the human eye.
So night vision devices or NVDs have helped fighters to “Own the Night” by assisting them, to see better at night or in places with reduced visibility. Fighters can now see, move, maneuver and shoot at targeted objects without much of a difficulty.
Additionally, there are a couple of things that can be added to this list like:
- Latest night vision devices are really reasonably priced
- That means it is available to civilians
- Many brand names have jumped into the bandwagon of manufacturing quality devices
- These manufacturers have understood the demand of such products in the survival and hunting industry and are competing to pitch the best of their work
- These manufacturers are producing low maintenance products that makes it more meaningful
- No special training required to learn operating most of these devices
Comparison Table: 6 Night Hunting Scopes For Your Budget
|Brand & |
|2.4 .lbs||Glass-nylon composite/metal||View on Amazon|
|1 .lbs||Aluminum alloy||View on Amazon|
|1.2 .lbs||Aluminum||View on Amazon|
|Gen 1+||3x |
|3 .lbs||Solid aluminum||View on Amazon|
|2.1 .lbs||Carbon plastic||View on Amazon|
|N/A||N/A||View on Amazon|
Top 6 Best Night Vision Scope for Night Hunting 2017
The market is competitive and there are a number of manufacturers that have come into existence. In order to get a hang of things we have tried our best to list a few of the best-sellers in this category of night vision scope which are as follows:
Sightmark Photon XT 4.6x42S Digital Night Vision Riflescope
This rifle scope is engineered for placement in medium range guns and is extremely versatile with high its end magnification. The battery shelf life is much higher than other similar products available in the market and is extremely lightweight.
- Expect to get 33% longer battery life
- It is 30% lightweight than other night vision rifle scope
- Six digital reticle options for a vast range of applications
- The scope includes two crossbow reticles designed for 320, 350, 370 and 400 fps crossbows
- It includes two Duplex reticles for hog hunting and varmint hunting
- A Mil-Dot reticle for range finding and holdovers and a German style reticle
- It has a 4.6x magnification, large 42mm objective lens and higher than average 640×480 resolution that offers a fine detailing up to 120 yards
People would complain about it being cheap which is quite evident that you cannot get an expensive one look. It may be blurry because again it does not have advanced technology into it. It is a basic gadget that would provide you all the comfort of a night vision device as a cheaper alternative. Those who complain about the SD card actually may not know how to use it properly for sure.
Vortex® Diamondback 3.5 - 10x50 BDC Reticle Riflescope
Diamondback 3.5 – 10X50 Riflescope is loaded with best of features that is available in it’s price range. This riflescope is best used for short and medium range guns or short guns due to its high degree of mechanics and precision involved. Some of the key features have been jolted below:
- DEAD-HOLD BDC RETICLE: The customized dot design helps to eliminate guesswork on holdover and windage corrections
- Extremely good for hunting and shooting at varying wide ranges where estimating holdover is a concern
- The device is ideal for big game, predator/varmint, muzzleloader, slug shotgun, and long range applications
- It is constructed of solid one-piece aircraft-grade aluminum alloy which makes the Diamondback riflescope virtually indestructible and highly resistant to magnum recoil
- Argon purging puts waterproof and fog proof performance on the device
- Advanced fully multi-coated optics gives a crystal clear, tack-sharp images which appear in the crosshairs
- Second Focal Plane reticle: The scale of the reticle maintains the same ideal sized appearance
Well this one has no issues at all but still some have found the way to criticize it saying that they expect to get more relief for the eye. Now that’s incredible and there is nothing you can do as you cannot make everyone happy.
Vortex Viper PST 2.5 - 10x32 FFP Riflescope
Vortex Viper PST 2.5 – 10×32 FFP Riflescope is a top-tier product that has more features than we could imagine actually. The Viper PST (Precision Shooting Tactical) Riflescope meets the tactical demands without creating a crater in your wallet. Matching reticle and turret measurements allow an accurate, to the point and fast dialing of shots. The one-piece 30mm tube of the make which is precision-machined from a single solid block of aircraft-grade 6061-T6 aluminum offers thorough windage and elevation adjustment. If we know what we want from a riflescope, and the Viper PST delivers exactly that.
- The Optics used is First focal plane which allows subtensions to remain consistent throughout the magnification range
- Optically indexed lenses: Edge-to-edge image sharpness and brightness is obtained with true reticle use for full ranging, XD lens elements
- Extra-low dispersion (XD) glass increases resolution and color fidelity, resulting sharp images with XR lens coatings
- Vortex proprietary XR fully multi-coated lens coatings increase light transmission for maximum brightness under subtle daylight
- The Construction: 30mm tube: Greater strength and wider adjustment latitude compared to a 1″ tube. 1-Pc
It is interesting enough to see people complaining about nothing but that it is not made in the US. That should speak about the brand’s quality in simple terms.
Armasight Vampire 3X Night Vision Rifle Scope
Armasight Vampire 3X makes use of the Ceramic Optical Ruggedized Engine or CORE as it is popularly called. This technology uses a compound of ceramic and metallic alloys instead of glass in the tube to produce doubled resolution dramatic images of 70 lp/mm. This means you can see clearer night vision images without any edge distortion. This is considered the right for predator hunting, security personnel or even tactical marksmen. Find out more about it by giving the following points a read:
- Stylish looks
- Use of CORE technology makes images better and sharper
- Can be mounted on any weapon
- Illuminated reticle that can be adjusted as per your requirement
- Detachable infrared illuminator
- Fog and water resistant
- Shockproof glass
- Multi coated optics
- Low battery indicators
- Quick release mounting
- Comes with a lens cap
- Carrying case
- Lens tissue
- Has a 2 year limited warranty
Some users have complained about weight and bulk that it comes with. Others have complained about the battery does not last long. The only thing that should be said in favor of the Armasight Vampire 3X is one of the best night vision scope and is a great product to invest in because of it’s efficiency.
Pulsar Digisight N550 Digital Night Vision Rifle Scope
This one is for hunting rifle and is an ideal for those who like to shoot as this can be mounted on hunting weapons. is a riflescope that doubles up as an extraordinarily effective night vision device that can be used for hunting in the dark. This means you can use it during the day as well as at night for best results. It has a lot of things that go into its favor like:
- It is ergonomically designed
- It has a sensitive CCD array
- Displays a high resolution image
- Is water resistant
- Comes with built in IR Illuminator
- Has a blind shield
- Comprises of both external as well as in built power supply
- Flip lens cover
- Also has low battery indicators
This is a high-quality product in spite of being reasonably priced so there are not many flaws to complain of. The only thing that users could come up with is that you may need an extra pair of batteries depending on the nature of your expedition. This is quite normal as the company can manufacture sturdy products but may not be aware of how their users will be using it!
Pulsar N750 Digisight Riflescope
Another riflescope from the same manufacturer was bound to have found this place in this review because of its superior performance. With an OLED display that has high resolution, the N750 Digisight by Pulsar has nailed it. This one is sure to appeal single dot reticle or for hog hunting because of its illuminated reticle. It is quite interesting to know that the N750 Digisight can magnify 4.5x Optical, which is like zooming into 1.5x Digital Zoom to an effective range of 6.75x! There is more to this amazing product that has been explained further, read on for more.
- You get high resolution images
- One shot zeroing facility available
- Laser built in IR illuminator that has a three step adjustment requirement
- Built in power supply both internal and external
- User friendly interface
- Wide ranging temperature adjustment
- Weapon mount can be attached to the underside of a weapon
- Has a carrying case
- Comes with a cleaning cloth
Again this is a product from a well-known manufacturer, less are the chances of talking against it. The only problem that users have complained of so far is that it is quite heavy and big to be mounted on a weapon. However, the finesse that you get with it surpasses this kind of a problem for sure.
This brings us to the conclusion of this discussion on best night vision scope for night hunting and all we are left is to say that there is more to night vision scopes. With rapidly developing technology there is no end to this ever growing sector. This is a major area of work pertaining to the rising demands defense, hunting, and survival industry.
It is believed that the Short Wave Infrared camera is going to be another massively revolutionary product that will change how things work in this industry. As of now what can be said is that with the GEN 4 night vision devices which are available at real affordable rates has made all difference. We all look forward to what advanced technology can further make to this world.